What I’ve learned about ‘The American Way’

In July, I packed two heavy bags and came to America. I left behind my family, the country I grew up in, and the daily comforts of certainty; instead, I brought with me hope for a better life and determination to conquer bigger challenges.

I also brought with me an image of America built from watching Grey’s Anatomy and Modern Family, Transformers and 27 Dresses, Last Week Tonight, The Daily Show—and, of course, the 2016 Presidential Race.

Over these three months, however, I discovered a different America—the real America. Here are a few observations I’ve made during these first few months about living the American way.

Fewer boundaries between personal and professional life

I always considered myself a raging extrovert—smiling easily and always making friends. In America, however, it is a different ball game altogether. Small talk here is aggressive. You must constantly smile at people—even at strangers, especially at strangers. Even when you are dragging heavy grocery bags to the bus stop, even when you had a bad day. There is no excuse to not smile at people here.

Americans also love it when you tell them a personal story. You need to tell your story to your peers, to advisors, at an interview, while networking. You need to keep talking about yourself—not only what skills you have, but also what you think, how you think, how you feel. Coming from a culture where personal and professional lives are strictly separate, this is a big adjustment for me (especially the smiling all the time part).

The first sight of the land of the free, home of the brave.

American news leaves much to be desired

American media is really bad. I am sorry for not sugar coating this, but you guys are missing out on big drama from not being tuned into the world’s news.

Once I stepped into the country, my Flipboard stream changed from being a mixture of news from around the world to churning out American news exclusively. Granted, it is important to know why Brangelina split up, but it is also important to know about the Colombia referendum, where the people voted ‘no’ to a peace deal (essentially saying they want civil war to continue!! See? Drama). This lack of news creates a sense of isolation I was not prepared for. It’s a big world out there, and a lot is happening in it.

Options are endless

The first time I went grocery shopping, it took me four hours to buy $100 worth of food. There are so many choices for everything in this country. Seven varieties of bread; five varieties of milk; chicken with skin, without skin; breast pieces only, drumsticks only; breast pieces and drumsticks only! Do not even get me started on the coffee.

I now use my grocery trips to practice the concepts I learn in class, from Accounting to Strategy, as I plan my path to becoming a more efficient shopper.

There is so much more to America than WashU, St. Louis and the Midwest—and that is what is exciting about this quirky place where everyone drives on the wrong side of the road and ‘flavour’ is spelled ‘flavor’. Here’s to exploring more unknowns, as America unfolds its beauties and flaws to the woman from a land far, far away.

In Global, Student Life

6 Responses to "What I’ve learned about ‘The American Way’"

1. avatar Dwight Hegel

Raisaa,
    WONDERFUL WRITING!
    I have lived in America all my life, and have never even traveled out out the country.
    At nearly 60 years old, I have learned to NOT pay attention to the news in our country. I think I am becoming a hermit, and LOVE IT! I see, and understand, much clearer as a result.
    Over the many years owning of a business, taking in Foreign Exchange Students, (like your brother Ahmed) and Foster Children…..My worldly education has been FANTASTIC!

KEEP UP THE WONDERFUL AND FANTASTIC WORK!!!

Anxiously waiting for you to visit our home.
    Dwight

2. avatar Cole donelson

Super interesting to hear about all the “normal” things that surprise people from other countries!

3. avatar Alejandro Bolivar-Cervoni

Thanks for sharing about your experience! Hope to read more soon!

4. avatar Mostarin Shamanta

Hahahahhah loved the humor, Apu! Amd especially your smiling experiences seem amazing! 😀
    Good write-up!

5. avatar Sharina Tofazzal

Good writing Raisaa. Expressive and candid !!!
    Waiting to know more from you.