Dare to embrace discomfort

If you told me five years ago that I would have an MBA degree, I would have laughed in disbelief. The main reason is that I simply could not see myself excel in a white, male-dominated field. As a first generation Latina you can imagine my hesitation, the challenges I would face, and the energy I would need to exert to push back. My reality was that no one I knew had had this experience, and with no support system in place, pursuing an MBA promised to be a very isolating road.

Later this month I will graduate with a joint master’s degree in social work and business administration. The joint track has provided me with the best of both worlds—the tools to fight for social justice combined with the management and analytical skill set to scale the impact I wish to achieve. While the social work experience has helped keep me grounded and motivated to be proactive about the change I wish to see, the MBA experience has been a rollercoaster.

MONDAY, AUG. 31, 2015 - This is the Olin Diversity & Inclusion Expo at Washington Univeristy's Olin Business School. ©Photo by Jerry Naunheim Jr.

©Photo by Jerry Naunheim Jr.

It took some time for me to find my place at Olin. As a nontraditional business school student the learning curve was steep. More so, I had willingly walked into an environment in which I knew I would have to pave my way to belong. I could count on one hand the number of Latinas in the full-time MBA program and on the other the number of black students. Admittedly, diversity is not only about race, however, having access to a community of people who share a similar background makes a world of difference.

It would have been easy to remain on the sidelines, to just attend classes and complete assignments without ever stepping out of my comfort zone. But because I wanted more, I had to do more. Diversity and Inclusion work, for me, is not only a personal matter; it is my civic responsibility. Helping Olin create space where people from all walks of life feel included, known, and cared for is key in making it a successful and welcoming learning environment.

Through my involvement with the Olin Diversity Council (ODC) and the Olin Diversity and Inclusion Committee (ODIC), I found the support systems I needed to excel at Olin. The road has had its ups and downs. At times I’ve felt like I’m preaching to the choir of the 20 usual suspects, but deep down I have to believe we are moving in the right direction. Diversity and Inclusion matters beyond Olin; to dismiss them not only impedes self-growth, but also represents a disservice to our collective ability to make a difference in the business world and society at large.

I chose to embrace discomfort these past three years of graduate school and I learned to face my own biases, not shy away from difficult conversations, and, most importantly, to meet people half way. So, I dare you to jump in and embrace the beautiful complexity of feeling discomfort in a journey of self-awareness and the exploration of our ability and willingness to be inclusive.

This blog post was contributed by Fabiola Paz, MBA 2016, and Olin Diversity and Inclusion Committee cochair

In Student Life, Teaching & Learning
Tag , , , , ,

6 Responses to "Dare to embrace discomfort"

1. avatar Christine

Seriously beautiful!

2. avatar Gokul Krishnan

Well said!

3. avatar Jackie Carter

I am so happy that you have shared your insight, your story. As more individuals speak out and find their voices like you, eventually we move to more opportunities and equality here at Olin and beyond. I am so proud of you. I wish you all the best!

4. avatar Sarah Lobo

That was very well said, Fabi!!

5. avatar Annetta Culver

So moving. Thanks for sharing your soul with us. Best to you in your future endeavors.

6. avatar Frederick L.Brown III

BEAUTIFUL!!!!