Troops say thank you

Our November Wash U. Military Care Package mailing was a HUGE success!  The group sent 27 boxes, weighing 515 pounds at a cost of $646.  The success has drained our postage funds so donations toward postage would be much appreciated!!

If you would like to contribute to the next Wash U Military Care Package mailing, please drop off your donations to one of the drop-off locations by 11:00 AM on Wednesday, April 22.  The drop-off locations and suggested items are listed at the end of this email.

Please let me know if you are available to help pack boxes on Thursday, April 23, 2:00 PM in the North Campus dining area. Honestly – it’s fun! Contact: Claire Patterson 935-7301

Here are responses from our November mailing.

military care package 2

Captain Erik Anthes, sharing with the U.S. troops, the Australian army and a French Sergeant.

“I received your boxes… finally!   I want to extend my personal gratitude to your organization and thank you for the generous gifts.  As I set the box out for our junior Soldiers to have first take, one of the young men shouted “Yes!  Some guy stuff!”

Another grabbed some q-tips and said “I needed these to clean my weapon!”  The hygiene products were the first thing to go, as we packed 45 days worth of personal demand items and the store on our compound is quite expensive.  This saved many young Soldiers quite a bit of money.”  Erik Anthes

John Nawoichyk, and members of the Ground Forces Command Advisor Team

“Thank you for the wonderful care packages! My team loved them – I attached a picture so you can see how happy they are. All of them asked that I say THANK YOU to you, the faculty, staff, students and friends. It is such a caring gesture and please know that it means a lot to us.

One of the young Soldiers said “How cool, Christmas came early to Afghanistan!” I attached a few pictures so you can seem them enjoying your awesome packages.
Things here remain well. It has been very busy and some changes in the government, but overall things are going well for us and the people of Afghanistan.
I hope you are having a wonderful day. Thank you again! ” John Nawoichyk

Thank you so much for the care packages.  Attached are two pictures of some of us with the items your generous group sent.  We appreciate this thoughtfulness very much.  We have shared these items amongst our team.

Please feel free to share the photos with anyone who donated to this selfless effort.  Thanks again.

Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Gilleran (pictured at top of post)

Suggested items to donate: (Please remember no aerosol or glass)

• Air freshener (type you hang from review mirror) (no aerosol or liquid)
  • Anti-bacterial items
  • Baby wipes
  • Beef Slim Jims
  • Breakfast bars, granola bars
  • Coffee
  • Corn nuts
  • Creamer
  • DVD’s (new or slightly used)
  • Dried fruit
  • Energy mixes
  • Gum
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Home-baked goods (please put your name on packages)
  • Hygiene products – male and female
  • Individually wrapped snacks
  • Lip balm/Chap stick
  • Liquid bath soap (please no bars – the sand sticks to the bars)
  • Nuts
  • Microwave popcorn
  • Non-digital table games
  • Power bars, Protein Bars, Nutritional Bars
  • Single serve – pre-sweetened drink mixes (Gatorade, Crystal Light, Wylers, etc.)
  • Socks
  • Tooth paste
  • Trail mix (individual size servings)
  • Sudoku/crossword puzzle books
  • Funds for postage are always welcome

Drop off locations:

Knight Hall, Suite 310 (Claire Patterson 935-7301)

South 40, South 40 House, Room 1006 (Lora Clark, 935-4329)

In Student Life
Tag , , , , , , , , , ,