1. Continue your research and zero in on companies or firms where you might like to work this summer.
2. Build an Excel target list of these companies that you can show to your network for contacts.
3. Identify people who are active and knowledgeable in the career field you are researching and the companies of interest. ProNet and LinkedIn are good sources for finding alumni and others.
4. Contact the people you find and arrange to meet them for an informational interview in person, if possible, or via phone or Skype.
5. Conduct the interview using an outline and prepared questions.
Find more information on these 5 steps in OlinCareers.wustl.edu