Dinner with the Dean

How often do you spend time with your dean? How about sharing a plate of hummus or chatting over baklava? Come to Olin for Dinner with the Dean!

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of attending Dinner with the Dean. Each month, Dean Mahendra Gupta takes twenty-five students out to dinner. This month, we went to a local Greek restaurant. Two other faculty members joined us, and they rotated amongst the tables to ensure we had ample time to talk to each of them.

There was no agenda and no subjects were off the table. Sure, we talked about business school, but at the same time Dean Gupta was giving us local restaurant recommendations and telling us his summer plans.

Coming from a larger undergraduate university, I had never experienced anything like this. I knew who my deans were simply from their emails and online presence. But I never even met most of them, let alone went discussed my future goals over dinner.

This monthly tradition is just one of the many personal touches that Dean Gupta gives Olin. He welcomes us to ask anything, and visit his office for any occasion. Olin is a smaller program, with less than 300 MBA students, but that allows us to make these connections and get to know our deans on a personal level. It’s refreshing to know the student body has such an accessible administration that is open to going out to dinner just to get to know us better.  I can’t wait to hear what Dean Gupta has to say next month.

In Student Life
Tag ,